Morningside Security Patrol
The General Purposes of the Morningside Security Patrol
The Morningside Security Patrol is comprised entirely of off-duty Atlanta Police Officers. These officers must obtain second job permits from the Atlanta Police Department (APD) and therefore all MSP officers follow APD's Standard Operating Procedures. Hence, all MSP officers are empowered to enforce the law.
The primary purpose of the Morningside Patrol is to augment our regular services from the APD. The Patrol serves the residents of the Morningside, Lenox Park, and Johnson Estates neighborhoods, an area of the City of Atlanta that is often referred to as simply Morningside.
MSP's primary responsibilities are to:
- Patrol and check on the residences of MSP members whenever they are out of town or away from their homes for any protracted period of time.
- Generally patrol the streets of Morningside and intervene in any crimes or suspicious activities in progress.
- Respond to any 911 or non-emergency calls that come through the APD's Zone 2 Dispatch.
- Coordinate crime prevention and law enforcement efforts with Zone 2 or any other appropriate arm of the APD.
- Assist in, or coordinate security and traffic with the APD in any of the MLPA's special events.
That said, it should be noted that MSP's responsibilities are to MSP members first, MLPA and its general membership second. However, the Patrol obviously serves the entire neighborhood as an additional police presence and is worthy of the entire neighborhood's support.
MSP-MLPA members and the Morningside neighborhood get an auxiliary community policing force that has the power to fully enforce the law on the spot. Period. No waiting for the real police to show up as with so many private security agencies.